About South Metro Land Conservancy
South Metro Land Conservancy is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization. SMLC has initiated or participated in a number of conservation and land preservation projects.
• Buffering South Platte Park, including:
• Serving on the City Task Force in 1996 to identify buffers for South Platte Park
• Preservation of 18.75 acres of the Newton Trust property to provide a buffer between a very narrow part of South Platte Park and development.
• Purchase of the 22 acre Superchi (Central Construction) property directly north of South Platte Park
• Solar Classroom addition at South Platte Park
• Purchase of 7.8 acres of the Ensor Property / SMLC holds the conservation easement
• Preservation of the Chambers Farm in Littleton
• Addition of South Downs to Roxborough State Park in Douglas County
• Preservation of the160 acre Stockwell property adjoining Chatfield Park and Chatfield Arboretum, also known as the Hildebrand Property in Jefferson County
• Arapahoe County Comprehensive Plan update - Arapahoe County Open Space Master Plan
• Advocated the Railroad Spur Trail north of Mineral Ave.
• Arapahoe County Open Space Tax in 2003 and 2011 - Arapahoe County Open Space Task Force
• Friends of the High Line Canal
• Waterton Canyon Partnership
• Audubon Nature Center
• Monitor the 8.6 acre Bowtie Property for Colorado State Parks
• Marjorie Perry Preserve on the High Line Canal / SMLC holds the conservation easement on the 59 acre property
• Oxbow 2.8 acre purchase in Englewood and Littleton
• Serving on the Arapahoe County Open Space and Trails Advisory Board for 9 years
• Purchase of 5.5 acre Lee Gulch Open Space / SMLC holds the conservation easement. Participated in Master Plan for site.
• Served on Littleton Open Space Task force to identify Parcels within city.
• Purchase of 1,000 acre Marrs property- resulted in conservation easement on it and 9,000 acre Plains Conservation Property next to it.
These efforts add up to over 10,300 acres of open space being protected. The lands protected by the working groups are in addition to SMLC’s numbers.
South Metro Land Conservancy is dedicated to protecting and enhancing open space in Arapahoe County, Colorado. We believe preserving our natural heritage and our quality of life within the urban landscape as well as in remote areas goes hand-in-hand with responsible development. We strive to collaborate and educate on the importance of open space needs and values.
SMLC is always seeking additional opportunities throughout Arapahoe County. We facilitate the creation of conservation easements, partner with other entities and advocate for the preservation of natural open space.
SMLC Board Members
South Metro Land Conservancy is a community nonprofit organization with a volunteer board.
Current board members:
Pat Cronenberger, president
Iftin Abshir, vice president
John Hershey, treasurer
Linda Knufinke, secretary
Interested in joining us?
If you are passionate about open space, parks, and trails in our community, we'd love to talk with you about how you can get involved!